Sunday, August 1, 2010

Swiss National Day, August 1st

"Since 1891, the first of August has been celebrated as Swiss National Day. The date refers to a historic alliance concluded in 1291 by the three cantons of Uri, Schwyz and Unterwalden. This alliance was to become the focal point around which the Switzerland of today was built over the next 500 years". It means that "Helvetia" is 719 years old now .

Back to botany, my actual garden will be in 2 weeks 10 years old. To be honest, I spent the first Fall for preparing the ground planting a couple of trees, organizing my greenhouse, the rainwater cistern and pipe system, and planning the garden.
A Mediterranean garden does not exist without dry stone walls. And I'm dry stone walls addicted! In the least days I finished a small (80 cm x 6 m) dry stone gravity wall using grey-blue metamorphic rock (probably gneiss) from a plot of ground near my house. Being my first (that long) dry wall I'm quite prude about my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment