Friday, July 16, 2010

July garden highlights


Drosophillum lusitanicum is an atypical carnivorous plant from Portugal, Spain and Morocco. Unlike other carnivorous plants Drosophillum grows on well drained sandy loam free soil. In the natural habitat, water is supplied in the Sommertime only by regular morning frog. Watering will be the challenge in cultivation.

Glumicalyx goseloides from South Africa.

Mutisia subulata from Chile (sharing the picture with Pelargonium sidoides) is very slow to establish, flowering only 3-4 years afer sowing.

At home in zone 8 Bomarea caldasii blooms very well also in containers.

It is still Juli, but in my garden Leucojum (Acis) autumnale seems do not respect the seasons and wishs to bloom now!
Borderline in my 8 Zone, I need to keep my Lagunaria patersonii in a relative large container, that will be placed in the garage for the wintertime. Lagunaria survived least winter -6°C without any leaf lesions.

This gardenia cultivar named "Mistery" survived in my garden -7°C with strong cold winds without any protection. Since 2 weeks hundreds of blooms are opening night after night giving a taste of heaven to my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment